I had not thought death had undone so many.

A line of poetry reverberates in so many contexts !

CR

Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Over 8 million people died in WWI. In Britain and the empire it was
947,000. On July 1, the first day of the Battle of the Somme, the
British had 57,470 casualties, of whom 19,240 were dead--in one day.
they just stood up and walked into machine gun fire in rows and rows.

Diana Manister wrote:

> Peter, yes, but just about everything occasions fear in the poem. Too
> much water, too little water, dust, rock, fire, women, a one-eyed
> merchant, the urban environment, London's air, and on and on. Few
> things besides hyacinths, fishermen, and churches are not fearsome.
> When symbolism overlaps to this extent, it becomes redundant and
> turgid. Diana

Well, the outside world in 1920 was a pretty scary place for many people
(and a pretty grim place, also, for the friends & family of the [how
many million?] dead in WW1. And it was also pretty a pretty scary world
'inside' [the Eliot household] for TSE. (I will show you fear in a
handful of dust.) Just what do you expect to find in a waste(d) land?

Carrol

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!