I have just reread Grover Smith's really prescient 1956 book, and I am
surprised to find what I had not remembered:  he was not at all
uncritical of Eliot, and he specifically held out as a problem that
Eliot's poetic vision "falters. . . because of its peculiar privacy,
which admits no wide sympathies."  He rather liked Sweeney and remarked,
"the Prufrockian temperament. .  . does not come off well when put
alongside the champions of fleshly joy."

There often seems to be an assumption on this list that at some early
golden age Eliot was universally idealized and that contemporary
treatment has destroyed that shared cultural appreciation, but in fact
early reviews were extremely critical as often as not.  It would be hard
to find anyone more influential over a long period than Grover Smith, so
his 1956 book, with its balanced evaluation is especially interesting on
the topic that has been running here.

(One need not, of course, share a liking for Sweeney, who is now seen
from a feminist perspective as pretty bad, but the recognition that he
had vitality and sensuality and that that can be far more attractive
than the Eliot called an anchorite by one reviewer is apt.)
Cheers,
Nancy

Carrol my RC experience confirms everything you say. Catholic theology
exists in a different dimension from catholic praxis. As children in
parochial school we girls had for role models veiled nuns who shaved
their heads and dressed in medieval habits. (We often peeked under our
nun's veil as she strolled the aisles of our classroom to see her shaved
head. There is a trick with a pencil I'm sure all catholic school kids
know that will lift the veil as she passes by.)

Here's another gem: when a girl was seen wearing patent-leather shoes a
nun would tell her to watch out for boys who could see up her skirt by
looking at reflections in her shiny shoes. And another: we were warned
not to jump over puddles because boys could see under our skirts. I
could go on and on! We all fasted during Lent and before communion
(apparently food in the stomach would contaminate the holy wafer), and
self-denial of every sort was encouraged and praised. Enjoyment was a
no-no. Reading fashion magazines or going to the movies was seen as a
first step to perdition. If I heard the word modesty once I heard it a
million times. I know Eliot would have approved of encouraging shame
among young ladies simply for being females.

Judging by some of James Joyce's writings on the subject it's the same
in Ireland (many of our nuns were Irish). The church's grip on Irish
mores as I'm sure you know was a motivating force for his emigrating.
Diana