Well, I was assuming the period prior to computers as at issue.  I typed
my dissertation and first book on a manual also, not having an electric
or the money to get one.  I never did have one, having gone from my
manual to a computer that now seems like an antique.  Luddite as I am, I
would not want to have to do that again.

I only this year felt forced to get a new computer and am astonished
that I can watch the debates on it.
Cheers,
Nancy

Nancy Gish wrote:

> Has anyone just defined it?  If not, on typewriters one had to press
the
> "return" key at the end of every line so that the moving "carriage" of
> type would move back to the left.

Heh! Generations get defined. Nancy describes an electric typewriter. I
did all my undergrad & grad school papers on a manual Royal portable and
my dissertation on a rebuilt manual Underwood. One did not press a key,
one grasped a lever and pushed the carriage back to the left.

Incidentally, though it's not visible, there are two operations involved
in the computer -- a carriage return and a line feed.

Free associating a bit -- re the technology of composition. Before the
days of computers, I always did all my writing to begin with with a pen,
legal pads or 5x8 cards, and only then typed it out, expanding as I
went. I couldn't really think on a typewriter, not even on the selectric
which replaced the Underwood. But since I began using a computer (with
an Osborne tan case 25 years ago) I do all my thinking on a keyboard
rather than with pen in hand.

Carrol