From: "Carrol Cox" <[log in to unmask]>

> I would tentatively suggest, however, that while there is no symbolic
> signficance to the Thames as water there is significance to it as a
> highway, linking together different sectors of London.

And different time periods, not to mention the Buddhist element of
the Thames in the opening of Heart of Darkness.

Any given river can become RIVER itself, esp given the
archetypal character of river. That significance can be
in the poem or not. It can also be brought to the poem by
the reader, or not.

Given what the various places along the river do to the speaker at
a certain point, it has the potential to be symbolic.

Consciousness can connect nothing with nothing at the end of
this particular stream, ala etherised upon a table.

P.