Dear Rick,

What I questioned was "as a unity."  It may well be a forest.  I'm not
suggesting that it is not a poem.  But the idea that a poem must be
unified around some idea or image or myth or whatever just does not
explain all poetry.  I like what Mary Hutchinson, Eliot's and Viv's
friend, said when she heard it read:  "It's Tom's biography and a
melancholy one."  (from memory, might be a word or two off)  It is far
easier I think to trace Eliot's movements through the poem than any
quest by a mythical knight, for example.  It originally started in
Boston, moved to Munich, then London, then Lausanne and Europe.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]> 08/02/07 12:23 AM >>>
Nancy

To me both Pound and Eliot seemed to be working to some sense of the
parts
fitting together.  They seemed to think that there was some whole into
which
a variety of very fine poetry did not fit.  Examples are "Gerotion" and
the
ship board scene.  Other poetry was added, after Pounds condensation,
which
Eliot seemed to feel fit in with and enhanced the rest.  You seem to be
denying a "whole" for the poem that I think TSE and Pound saw and molded
the
pieces about.  Please don't ask me what that whole might be for I have
no
idea either. :>)  But, as I have learned and am still learning, because
can't get my mind around something does not mean it is not a whole
thing.
It may be a Forest.

Rick Seddon
Portales, NM