I should have noted that.  But according to my Arden Shakespeare the
First Folio text "was probably revised by Shakespeare."  Clearly that is
not known for sure.  Interestingly, the actors did not even have
complete scripts; they had just their own sections because it would have
been too much to produce.  It must have called for incredible directing.
Nancy

>>> Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> 08/01/07 8:48 PM >>>
> Barnwell Black wrote:
>

> In Lear's passage above, this is the only use in the entire play of
> the singular word God,  "As if we were God's spies..."  -- with upper
> case "G" too. I suspect Shakespeare did this with subtle intent.

This, at least, is unacceptable. As far as we know Shakespeare had
nothing whatever to do with the typography of any of his plays. It's
possible, of course, that the  typesetter by reflex capitalized God
(singular), but that would indicate nothing on the part of Shakespeare.

Carrol