Dear Diana,
    I have been reading your posts, but still am puzzled.

    1) What is "a sum of meaning"?  What in the poem indicates that this
is a legitimate standard/result/techinique to judge the poem by?

    2) Granting your analysis below, but still don't understand your
arithemtic or the reason for applying it.  Water does give life and take
it.  Drought, too, can kill.  How is water, then, "cancelled out"?

    Perhaps sum of meaning and elements that cancel themselves out and
Sosostis .. is stable in herself are part of a discourse I've not yet
encountered, but I wonder if your measurement is useful here.  I can't
tell, since I don't understand what you mean.
    Can't the acute representation of the ambiguity, the multi-valence
of the things of the world, stand without adding up to something outside
the poem -- a stable or a non-zero figure?

Best,
Marcia