At 10:35 PM 7/31/2007, Nancy Gish wrote:

>I am fascinated with studies of and ideas about consciousness, and I do
>not see any reason why a god who created it--presuming one--would do so
>only for it to be dissolved.

   This presents the interesting proposition that a god would meet your
criteria. While I hope it is in some way true that so marvelous a thing
as
consciousness, or more exactly, individual consciousness, is not, like
so
much of 20th/21st cent Western culture, disposable, I don't find much
value
in creatures prescribing to their creator what his purpose must be.

And yet the alternative assumptions do the same.  Who decided there is a
god who wants your criteria?

>  It would make for a pretty dull eternity I
>should think.  Fortunately for Eliot, his poetry really is not grounded
>in it--he talks about it but does not claim to have it.

   I am trying to follow this and it seems to say Eliot does not have
consciousness. Is that correct?

no.

>  Even in "Ash
>Wednesday" the narrator (it has one) keeps talking about wanting to
find
>peace and stillness and keeps looking back with desire and nostalgia.
>think it interesting that Eliot was never really happy until he married
>Valerie; it would seem that only sensual experience ever did provide
his
>garden.

   Leaving aside whether Eliot was never really happy, this assumes that

marriage is first or primarily physical, or more simply, that another
person's major impact is physical, but I see no reason that it should
not
be spiritual (of which I take the psychological to be a somewhat watered

down subspecies). The sensual without the spiritual still seems to sum
out
to zero, or less than.

It assumes no such thing.  Read his poem to Valerie.  Who said there was
no connection as opposed to spirit without sensuality?

Thanks,
Ken A.