From: Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 9:45 am
Subject: Re: William Carlos Williams : At the still point

A lively response, indeed. Thank you, all.

Dear Kate Troy, I'm struck by your reading of this poem --
I'd explore the aspect of "sexuality" in William Carlos Williams.
I'm impressed by your profound comment on 'Field of Dreams' :

"Costener begins to apologize but the doctor stops him,
saying that the minute at bat he was granted was sufficient,
that if he had only had a minute at being a doctor, then that
would have been a tragedy."

Wow!

And this to Nancy Gish: a poem is there for a reader to read
and share their response with other readers -- there were many a
student/teacher who reciprocated my reading of it -- that was
in a university in India many years ago -- and I'm sure
there will be many elsewhere who will partake of my reading,
irrespective of what William Carlos Williams thought of his poetry.
As WH Auden said (In Memory of WB Yeats) :

Now he is scattered among a hundred cities
And wholly given over to unfamiliar affections,
To find his happiness in another kind of wood
And be punished under a foreign code of conscience.
The words of a dead man
Are modified in the guts of the living.

And this to Carrol : it's a compliment to a poem's versatility
(of meaning) if it evokes different things in different readers,
and seems conformist to some, non-conformist to others.

And thanks, dear Gunnar, for sharing your excitement.
'The Bull' became an instant hit with me too.

And not least, thanks a lot, Ken, for your cogent remark,
"what an author thinks he or she is doing may or may not be
on the mark".

Cheers!

CR

Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.