Sometimes this is an issue when posting poetry on the web; not so much with
the more basic 'meat and potatoes' software that most poetry workshop sites
use, but the more sophisticated software that tries to 'think for you' and
will not even accept the "return" you specifically typed at the end of an
iambic pentameter line but 'figures' that you really wanted was a
continuous line.  With those types of software, if you typed in all of
Shakespeare's sonnets perfectly what would come out would be something
looking like the last chapter of Joyce's "Ulysses."  With most 'smart'
software you have to manually type in the HTML code "</br>" at the end of
each and every line of poetry, very time consuming and irritating too.

Robert

ps: "Aristocratic homecoming" killed me!