At 12:53 PM -0400 8/7/07, Nancy Gish wrote:
>Bottled water is one of the surrealist absurdities of our time.  It
>is tap water filtered and stuck in bottles, not some primal, pure
>spring water.  If you get a Britta filter, you can just refill any
>water bottle and carry it around with you for no cost, and it will
>be the same thing.  Fortunately Maine water is already good and
>pretty cold even in summer, but I use the filter anyway because it
>is noticeably finer.
>Nancy

Agreed completely, and I'm constantly arguing this with people who
buy enormous quantities of bottled water, spreading the detritus into
landfills...  (Rather, than, say, buying a canteen...)

Fortunately, the media has decided that this behavior now counts
among the absurdities they deign to cover, and more people are
becoming aware of the premium they're paying, and the environmental
impact.

But Nancy missed an additional opportunity to plug Maine - Poland
Springs water, of Maine, is one of the brands of bottled water which
need not be labelled "PWS" (for Public Water Supply), nor is it a
"designer" label for pretentious wealth consumption/destruction.

Charles

PS: I have no connection to Poland Springs, I'm simply replying to
this for the opportunity to truncate the length of the email being
forwarded around, which was approaching Biblical proportions.