This morning I observed the immature Wood Stork at 6:30 and again at 7:30 at Four Rivers CA.  It was perched in the same place as has been reported before. I got down there about 3:30 yesterday afternoon and looked for it several times until 7:30 in the evening but never did see it. Don't know where it was hiding out? I had planned to spend the night anyway since I got there so late. Six Eurasion-collared Doves flew up as I pulled into the Apache Motel at Rich Hill last night.

   I checked out the other three units of this large wetland area while I was there. There were lots of Great Egrets and Great Blue Herons in all of them. Hundreds, maybe a thousand all together! I also saw several other waders:

   Green Herons - several
   Yellow-crowned Night Heron - Adult and two immatures
   Little Blue Heron - only two
   Snowy Egret - 8

  There were quite a few shorebirds still in unit one yesterday, but fewer today. Saw several each Buff-breasted Sandpipers and Short-billed Dowitchers, plus good variety of other expected ones incl one Upland Sandpiper and couple of Baird's Sandpipers. There is some good shorebird habitat in unit two also. Saw mostly peeps, Pecs, and Yellowlegs there but certainly didn't spend time scoping it all.

   In unit three in the DU Presidents Marsh I saw one each Black Tern, Forester's Tern, and Ring-billed Gull, and also one adult Bald Eagle. There were also several Wood Duck
   and about 15 Pelicans, and several DC Cormorants. There were about 700 Purple Martins perched on the utilty wires high over the marsh. I saw another 100+ PUMA perched on wires along the road north of the headquarters and 200 another place on the way down.

  In unit four at Four Rivers this afternoon I saw an immature Bald Eagle and found two Fish Crows. There was also a nesting Colony of Double-crested Cormorants. There were around 40 nests with a few birds sitting on some. I did not find any Neotropic Cormorants.

  All the flooding in this area caused alot of problems but it also shows what can happen when a wetland area actually has water in it this time of year!!!

  Later, Steve Kinder
  Chillicothe, Livingston Co.