I went back to Eagle Bluffs CA, Boone Co., today for another look at
the duck in Pool 2 that I reported as a Ruddy.  It is NOT a Ruddy
Duck.  It is, as Kathleen Anderson correctly reported earlier, a Ring-
necked Duck.  It appears rather typically a Ring-necked Duck, the
only aberrations from illustrations I have found are the apparent
lack of the white line extending behind the eye-ring, and a rather
shabby looking tail that was held upright when I first viewed it, but
held more horizontally today.

Explanations for my misidentification?  I could think of a couple of
excuses, but the explanation most apropos was first uttered by Dr.
Samuel Johnson when confronted by an error as to a part of a horse's
leg defined in his dictionary.  When asked something to the effect
of, "How could you write such a thing?" his response was:

Ignorance, madam, sheer ignorance.

Bodacious birding!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO