Greetings!

Having to work today only to get off at 4 pm, I decided to head to Otter
Slough to look for the Roseate Spoonbill. I began working West down CR 642
then turning South on 679. At 5:30, I was looking over field numbers 31 and
32 when the rains came pouring down . . . I waited nearly 45 minutes before
leaving the area continuing South on CR 679. I stopped at the field located
NE of the intersection of CR 679 & CR 691 (where Josh Uffman had the Roseate
Spoonbill earlier today).

Stopping at this field, I was able to roll down the passenger window without
the rain coming in, but through the torrents, I was only able to make out
shadowy images. Approximately 6:30, the rain began to lift some, and while
still inside the truck, I tried to digiscope the Spoonbill through my
binoculars.

In my preoccupation with the Spoonbill, I didn't see the Little Blue Heron
fly into the shallow pool with a TRICOLORED HERON in tow. While this was my
LIFE Tricolored Heron, its proximity (within 5 - 10 feet) to the Little Blue
Heron left no question in my mind that this was a juvenile Tricolored Heron
- yellow-orange bill, yellow-ish legs, some red on its wings, white belly,
white patch at the shoulder and blatently red neck. The Tri began chasing a
Great Egret and a Black-necked Stilt from its immediate area and began
darting about. I tried to digiscope (again while inside the truck with
binoculars while it was still drizzling). The Tri worked around a grass
mound and out of my sight.

Joe Eades drove up shortly afterward just as the rain was stopping
altogether and we waited until 8:30 pm without seeing the Tri or the Little
Blu fly out of the shallow pool on their way to roost. I believe tha Joe may
try for it in the morning (Sun.).

Needless to say, I didn't make it all the way around the Cache area, only
the NW corner, but still managed equal Josh's number of species of 52. I
will enter the data into MOBIRDS tonight. I will also try to get my poor
photos on my webshots pages.

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar

http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_hotmailtextlink2