The following post from the Iowa list is very interesting to me:

"I stopped at Grover's Lake in Dickinson county yesterday morning hoping to find what I found.  There were two pair of Red-necked Grebes and one pair had two young riding on the back of an adult.  The other pair was quite far out and both were resting.  I could not detect any family activity with the second pair. "

I don't know where Dickinson County is, but I presume it is in Iowa.
I found the following on the net:
"The Red-necked grebe's breeding ground runs from Alaska and northern Canada south to Oregon, Idaho, southern Minnesota and Ontario. It winters along both coasts south to California and Georgia  It is also found in Europe and Asia. "
Eccept for Clark's Grebe, which I have seen twice in Missouri, and Yellow-billed Loon, which I have seen here only once, Red-necked Grebe seems to be the rarest of the loons and grebes that we encounter in November. If they breed not far to the north of us, I wonder why we do not see more of them.

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO