  July 14, 2007 (Saturday)

  List of birds observed by Steve Kinder and Larry Lade around Squaw Creek NWR, Mound City, Missouri

  Canada Goose
  Wood Duck
  HOODED MERGANSER, one female/juvenile
  NORTHERN SHOVELER, one male in breeding plumage (Laukemper's wetland off Highway 118, Mound City)

  Ring-necked Pheasant
  Wild Turkey
  Northern Bobwhite

  Pied-billed Grebe
  American White Pelican

  AMERICAN BITTERN, at edge of cattails on south side of auto tour loop at south end of Eagle Pool (that is the main pool [mostly drained now] at you enter the east entrance to the refuge). It did not seem disturbed by our presence on the road and went about its normal business of preening. We even watched it catch and devour a small fish.

  Great Blue Heron
  Great Egret
  Green Heron
  Turkey Vulture
  BALD EAGLE, one adult and two crying juveniles all perched together in a tree
  Red-tailed Hawk
  American Kestrel (near Amazonia)

  Killdeer
  Solitary Sandpiper
  Lesser Yellowlegs
  Least Sandpiper
  Pectoral Sandpiper
  Ring-billed Gull, one
  Forster's Tern, one
  Rock Pigeon, in Mound City
  Eurasian Collared-Dove, two on utility wire on Highway 118 just west of Mound City
  Mourning Dove
  Yellow-billed Cuckoo
  Chimney Swift
  Belted Kingfisher
  Red-headed Woodpecker
  Red-bellied Woodpecker
  Hairy Woodpecker
  Northern Flicker
  Eastern Wood-Pewee
  ...empidonax [sp]
  Eastern Phoebe
  Great Crested Flycatcher
  Western Kingbird (Mound City)
  Eastern Kingbird
  Warbling Vireo
  Red-eyed Vireo
  Blue Jay
  American Crow
  Purple Martin
  Tree Swallow
  Northern Rough-winged Swallow
  Cliff Swallow
  Barn Swallow
  Black-capped Chickadee
  White-breasted Nuthatch
  House Wren
  Marsh Wren
  Eastern Bluebird
  American Robin
  Gray Catbird
  Brown Thrasher
  European Starling
  American Redstart

  PROTHONOTARY WARBLER, found in mostly dried up, wooded, marshy area on the west side of road which goes to the northern end of refuge, Teal Pool. Steve kept hearing one singing and after a lengthy wait we finally got to see one.

  Common Yellowthroat
  Yellow-breasted Chat
  Chipping Sparrow
  Lark Sparrow
  Song Sparrow
  Rose-breasted Grosbeak
  BLUE GROSBEAK (near Forbes, Missouri on utility wire, "T" Highway)
  Indigo Bunting
  Dickcissel
  Red-winged Blackbird
  Common Grackle
  Great-tailed Grackle (Laukemper's wetland off of 118 Highway, Mound City)
  Brown-headed Cowbird
  Orchard Oriole
  Baltimore Oriole
  American Goldfinch