Much of May got flooded out for me this year, and my year list is so far behind that I am embarrassed to post accurate numbers to COMAL. My list is particularly deficient in shore birds, and I am wondering if there may be any hope for redemption this summer. Missouri shorebirding is usually problematic in July and August because those mud-flats that don't dry up usually get covered with vegetation pretty quickly. Moreover, the drying out of oxbow lakes that has provided good summer shorebirding in recent drouth years has been reversed by this year's floods.

When I last visited 4-Rivers in June, the habitat looked terrific for shore birds, but of course the northward migration was over and the southern migration had not yet started, so all we saw were Killdeer and Spotted Sand-pipers. That trip was followed by more flooding in later June, which I understand was so extensive that a section of MO 71 between Butler and Nevada had to be closed. I am wondering if the later flood waters may not still be receding, potentially creating outstanding shore bird habitat there now.

If anyone knows whether Schell-Osage and 4-Rivers are now accessible, and, if so, what the shore bird habitat is like there, I'd appreciate an update.

Thanks.

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO