Topics involving shorebirds:
First, found this on the Shorebird listserve and those in the west may be
interested.
Tagging of Least, Western and Semi-palmated sandpipers at Quivira
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/SHOR.html#1184714757

Secondly: Shorebird habitat around St. L (from 7/18 travels)
- Columbia Bottoms CA, St. L co., MO
NADA, ZIP, ZERO
Though SEDGE WRENS are vocalizing along asphalt road.
- Riverlands MBS, St Chas. co, MO
Very little, Teal Pond is down enough to have mudflats appearing in the
front along Hwy 67
MS. River is too high and will stay that way for barge traffic.
Pelicans and cormorants are still around.
Found one lone male RUDDY DUCK
2 CASPIAN TERNS at Linc. Shields
No Osprey anywhere. .
LOTS of swallow starting to gather: mostly BANK and CLIFF with a few BARN
thrown in.
Think a very early AM or evening to sunset visit would yield more.
ILLINOIS side of RMBS at the Hwy 143 slough looked good but did not stop,
too much traffic.
- Confluence SP Road "fluddles" by the SP sign, MO
One side dried up
Other side still had water, but may soon be dry too. Birds seen at this pool
were semisands, leasts and a nice breeding plumaged STILT SANDPIPER. Did not
look for westerns like I should have done.
Around the corner, one pool is dry and the other is getting much lower. LOTS
of waders there with a few peeps in amongst the vegetation on the edges.
- Pintail Marsh almost completely dried up.
Only Killdeer seen here.
- Horseshoe Lake Duck Impoundment, Madison co., IL.
Pumping continuing. mudflats on the edges of the impoundment and at the
boatramp.
Most birds at the boatramp - pects, 2 SOLITARY SANDPIPERS, peeps.
IOS trip going out this weekend so hopefully they will find something good.
Also saw lots of waders and MANY Pied-billed Grebes with SEVERAL babies.
Hope they make it out before the complete draw-down......sigh.

Other STL area shorebird habitat:
Heard through the grapevine that there are fluddles near the JB bridge into
Columbia, IL.
Saw a large sandbar from I-270 North near Chain of Rocks. Also a large beach
front at Chain of Rocks.

That's all the habitat I know about.
Have not heard from the Two Rivers area in Calhoun, nor have I gone there
either.
Have not heard about Carlyle Lake either.

Thirdly....Sandy Slough (and other areas) Lincoln co., MO
- Keeteman Road Sod Fields: nothing but Killdeer, meadow and horned larks
- Sandy Slough, Winfield Dam
MS, River is way up, so sand bars visible
Sandy Slough has excellent habitat with most of the birds down the gravel
road/Sandy Slough Road.
not many birds (except for Killdeer). Mostly what is already being reported.
BIG THING was two white-haired men, Mayor of Old Monroe and a State Rep for
that district, stopped to talk to me. Told me of their grand plans to DREDGE
Sandy Slough to provide more boating/fishing opportunities and to attract
eagles in the winter. They wanted my opinion and I told them (think they
were sorry afterwards..haha).
Since I didn't agree with their plans and that I was associated with the St.
L birding clubs, they could not get away from me fast enough. Too fast for
me to catch up to get their names again....argh!.

Anyway........
That is what I know about the shorebird habitat in STL.
Well, that was my good deeds for awhile.

Later kids,
Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.