From: Tim James [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 10:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Eagle Bluffs

Jean
I just wanted to send you and the fine folks on Mo-birds an update of the
current management objectives of the area. The May flood altered the
preferred water management regime which will impact the abundance of
mudflats for the southbound shorebirds. In a typical year, water levels are
increased in early to mid-June to irrigate moist soil plants to promote
plant growth and seed production followed by a drawdown to provide mudflats
in late July thru August. The flood delayed moist soil plant germination
until mid-June and the irrigation of the vegetation with rising water levels
is just now taking place which is negatively impacting shorebird habitat. If
we did not irrigate the moist soil areas we would get minimal plant growth
and seed production from favorable plants and cocklebur would become the
dominate plant in our low lying basins.

We have increased the flow of effluent into the upper distribution channel
to raise the water level. This will allow us to irrigate the moist soil in
pool 4 south and the UDC. We are manipulating the water control structure
weirs in the cross levee to provide a  minimal maintenance level flow of
water to the lower distribution channel. Water in the LDC is flowing into
pool 10 to irrigate moist soil and into pool
15 to provide water for the ongoing fish study. We are trying keep mudflats
in the LDC but water levels will have to rise to prevent a fish kill in pool
15 if the dissolved oxygen levels drop too low.

Mudflats for shorebirds can be found in pool 2 as the water evaporates,
inside the willows in pool 8, probably pool 14 and the back side of pool 11,
and in the lower distribution channel when the weirs are set high.
Tim