From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Diana Manister
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 5:39 AM
Subject: Re: The ivory men

Peter wrote:

"The pub characters, can I suppose be seen as pawns in
the chess game. Certainly the demobbed fellows are coming
from a pawn-like situatiuon in the war. Not many connotations
of ivory among them that I can see, though, unless perhaps
that set of teeth that Lil should get."

Peter this is another sharp observation of yours. Chess is a war game. Europe in either WWI or WW2 was described as a chessboard. Another resonance in the poem that operates on a subconscious level until someone like you points it out! Ivory may stand for the spoils of war. Diana

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the iím Initiative now. Itís free.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.