  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 5:39 AM
  Subject: Re: The ivory men

  Peter wrote:

  "The pub characters, can I suppose be seen as pawns in
  the chess game. Certainly the demobbed fellows are coming
  from a pawn-like situatiuon in the war. Not many connotations
  of ivory among them that I can see, though, unless perhaps
  that set of teeth that Lil should get."

  Peter this is another sharp observation of yours. Chess is a war game. Europe in either WWI or WW2 was described as a chessboard. Another resonance in the poem that operates on a subconscious level until someone like you points it out! Ivory may stand for the spoils of war. Diana