CR,
      A thought: The "boat imagery" in "The Waste Land" is certainly varied. One thing that could tie it all together is the concept that we are all, in our transient voyages, attempting to navigate the endless waters of time/existence in vessels of our own design symbolizing our own personal philosophies, convictions, prejudices, passions, lusts, myths, and circumstances, -- vessels which keep us from sinking, however flimsy they might be. "Although the Logos is common to all, We live as if by our own wisdom"  (Heraclitus).
       Contrast this with the entirely different boat/ship imagery in "The Dry Salvages" II and III where the imagery used by the "older" post-conversion T. S. Eliot is focused upon the path toward the death of the Self and spiritual rebirth.   From DS III:

"'...O voyagers, O seamen,
You who came to port, and you whose bodies
Will suffer the trial and judgement of the sea,
Or whatever event, this is your real destination.'
So Krishna, as when he admonished Arjuna
On the field of battle.
Not fare well,
But fare forward, voyagers."   DS III

 On this subject, the words of Longfellow come to mind:

"Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing;
 Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness;
 So on the ocean of life we pass and speak one another,
 Only a look and a voice; then darkness again and a silence."  The Theologian's Tale, Elizabeth, IV.

Thanks,
Barnwell