  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2007 7:14 AM
  Subject: Re: Water in TWL -- Heraclitus

  Barnwell, thanks for the pertinent comments on Eliot's use of water. However, I think as a symbol in TWL it does not point clearly to any interpretation. I'll have to go back to the mss version to see if some transitions were deleted that might make it more clear.

  One can extrapolate many interpretations from the juxtaposition of water as a cause of fear and death, something that dissolves the body of the sailor, and the later symbolizing of water as life-bringer, but I do not see sufficient evidence in the poem for anything but speculation. Diana