  From: Chokh Raj
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:51 PM
  Subject: The boat imagery in TWL

  Dear Listers,

  It should be interesting as well to take note of the boat imagery
  in TWL.  There is a definite pattern to it.

  Part I -- the sailor's song and its implications
               (it prefaces the Hyacinth girl passage) :

  Frisch weht der Wind
  Der heimat zu
  Mein Irisch Kind,
  Wo weilest du?

  Part II -- It's prefaced with an allusion to Cleopatra's ceremonial barge
               (The barge she sat in, like a burnish'd throne,
                  Burn'd on the water.)
                and her first meeting with Antony.

  Part III -- Here, The barges drift / With the turning tide
                   and The barges wash / Drifting logs

                Elizabeth and Leicester / Boating oars...
                Carried down stream

                'By Richmond I raised my knees
                Supine on the floor of a narrow canoe.'

  Part IV --  O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
                  Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

  Part V -- The boat responded
                Gaily, to the hand expert with sail and oar
                The sea was calm, your heart would have responded
                Gaily, when invited, beating obedient
                To controlling hands.

  There also appears to be a definite equation between the boat(s)
  and the human heart with its passions of love/lust.

  Regards,

  CR