A poor record for a seer with a wicked pack of cards,
and cold. Save our souls indeed!
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 7:18 AM
  Subject: Re: Rewrite The Waste Land - Part IV

  Nonetheless, Sosostris is right in at least one of her readings! Diana

      Has anyone ever noticed that not only did/does Madame Sosostris

      not find The Hanged Man, neither does she find the fool.

    And her remark, "Fear death by water" exposes the ignorance of

    this "wisest woman in Europe" about the spiritual significance of

    such a death brought out in Part IV of the poem.

    To me, Madame Sosostris is a deliberate representation of the secular

    tendency in contemporary life which Eliot was to say (in 'Religion and

    Literature' ) is wholly ignorant of "our most fundamental and important

    beliefs", and which is "simply unaware of, simply cannot understand

    the meaning of, the primacy of the supernatural over the natural life:

    of something which I assume to be our primary concern".

    CR

    Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's