Alas the wrench is dead.
P.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:10 AM
  Subject: Re: Rewrite The Waste Land

    Peter, I see that as a possibility. Either TWL is composed of the thoughts, memories and present sensations and perceptions of a focalizing narrator, or of "interpenetrating psyches." The latter tends more towards the polyphonia of postmodernism than the former. Diana

    (Rememeber Polyphonia? A great gal!)

    As to the narrator of TWL, I am remided of ELiot's statement in T&TIT:
      "The point of view which I am struggling to attack is perhaps related to the metaphysical theory of the substantial unity of the soul: for my meaning is, that the poet has, not a 'personality' to express, but a particular medium, which is only a medium and not a personality, in which impressions and experiences combine in peculiar and unexpected ways."

    SO the psyche or whatever one wants to call it, that narrates the poem is more
    like a set of interpenetrating psyches, somewhat ala Virginia Woolf. The note
    on Tiresias would seem to support that.

    P.