From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Chokh Raj
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: Rewrite The Waste Land

Speech fragments cohere in TWL around a narrator. They are
overheard or remembered by him, and I think become parts of
the narrator's inner monologue, along with his own thoughts.
In the later chapters of Joyce's Ulysses, on the other hand,
each speech fragment exists on its own without a central point
of view, either author or narrator or other normalizing character
in the book to order them. Joyce's book becomes truly polyphonic,
where TWL is an inner monologue throughout.
An excellent perception, Diana.  It helps resolve the fragments
into a unity in terms of their deliberate choice and arrangement
by the poet -- with narrator to hold them together in a desired
pattern of meaning.  And to cap it, you have elucidated your point
with a fine comparison with Joyce.  My compliments !!!

CR

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.