  From: Chokh Raj
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 11:19 AM
  Subject: Re: Rewrite The Waste Land

    Speech fragments cohere in TWL around a narrator. They are
    overheard or remembered by him, and I think become parts of
    the narrator's inner monologue, along with his own thoughts.
    In the later chapters of Joyce's Ulysses, on the other hand,
    each speech fragment exists on its own without a central point
    of view, either author or narrator or other normalizing character
    in the book to order them. Joyce's book becomes truly polyphonic,
    where TWL is an inner monologue throughout.
  An excellent perception, Diana.  It helps resolve the fragments
  into a unity in terms of their deliberate choice and arrangement
  by the poet -- with a  narrator to hold them together in a desired
  pattern of meaning.  And to cap it, you have elucidated your point
  with a fine comparison with Joyce.  My compliments !!!

  CR

  Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.