I was reading a commentary on Jeremiah which mentioned borken cisterns,
and so rang an Eliot bell in my sonorous noggin.

Cf TWL:
           Tolling  reminiscent bells, that kept the hours
 384    And voices singing out of empty cisterns and exhausted wells.

with

 If the cement of the cistern gave way, the reservoir became useless and was abandoned. It was then one of the "broken cisterns, that could hold no water" (Jeremiah 2:13).

from

New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia
     http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15581a.htm

I couldn't find a reference to it in Rick's phenomenal hypertext TWL

so I'm not sure if it is a valid sighting.

Cheers,
Peter