Here's a common strain that seems to define the three fragments
  -- Marie's, the Hyacinth girl's, and Tristan/Isolde's -- and weave
  them into one thread :

  "that was the beginning of my love"

  and the end too (?) if first love ever knows one.

  "Footfalls echo in the memory..."

  Incidentally, I got the lead from William Wordsworth's The Borderers:

  Till all the band of playmates wept together;
  And that was the beginning of my love.

  Well, "things throw light on things, / And all the stones have wings",
  wrote Theodore Roethke in his poem, 'The Small'.

  Regards,

  CR