"aethereal rumours", ha-ha !!!

CR

Rickard A Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
CR Mittal wrote:

> To me, Marie is suggesting something more the bracing air of the
> mountains so soothing to one's nerves from the oppressive summer of
> the plains. She is possibly hinting at the temporary, but necessary,
> freedom from the oppressive eye of the society and its social/moral
> inhibitions, the luxury of the beauty and the privacy that the
> secluded mountain environs afford.

//In the mountains, there you feel free (from your hubby).//

Countess Marie Larisch had a home in the mountains called the Villa
Valerie that was given to her by her parents. It was located in
Rottach in the Bavarian Alps on the south shore of Tegernsee, a lake
south of Munich. In her book My Past (pp. 207-8) the Countess wrote of
this home and her being away from her husband George, the Count, while
staying there. (See also her book Secrets of a Royal House,
pp. 214, 217).

My Past
Chapter IX, The Infatuation of Mary Vetsera
Marie Larisch (1858-1940)
The first three paragraphs of the chapter.

SINCE that October day when, solely to please the Empress, I became
the wife of Count George Larisch, my life was more or less
uneventful. My husband's sudden self-assertion had shattered
Elizabeth's plans, and, although I saw a great deal of her when I,
happened to be in Vienna, the confidential intercourse between us was
practically over, and I sometimes bitterly reflected that my aunt did
not seem to trouble about me or my affairs half so much as when I was
more useful to her.

The Count and I first lived in a remote part of Silesia, and we
afterwards removed to another estate near where my husband's people
resided. George was not on the best of terms with his relations, and
he therefore decided to purchase a property in Bohemia, not far from
Pardubitz, where he built a country house. I did not care greatly for
our new home, which bored me excessively when the hunting and shooting
were over, but luckily I owned a charming little place in the Bavarian
mountains where I spent some very happy times with my children.

Count Larisch did not give us much of his company in Bavaria, as he
had a deep-rooted dislike to my country, and to my family; so his
visits to the Villa Valerie only lasted a few weeks. But I was not
actually unhappy; I loved my children; I had many things to occupy my
time, and perhaps a little of the stolid Bavarian character made me
philosophical. I had, like most women, some one for whom I cared, but
this was my own secret, and the object of my affection knew nothing
about it. I drifted peacefully through the days which were so much
alike; I never expected any change, for my emotions had become dulled,
and I had schooled myself to accept my life such as it was.

The Villa Valerie currently is the rathaus (town hall) for the town of
Rottach-Egern. Now for a bit of irony--there is a company that will
arrange a "Romantic Wedding in Bavaria" where you can get married at
the rathaus, Marie's old home away from George.

Regards,
Rick Parker