It could be so.  But I thought she made a general remark (and it included
  her as well) about the sensation of freedom/exhilaration one experienced
  in shifting from the tedium of the plains.

  Regards,

  CR

Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  At 10:48 AM 7/10/2007, Chokh Raj wrote:
>Diana, I'm sorry to be stating the obvious but one could use "you"
>as an impersonal pronoun too as in "You never know."

Which is the Marie problem, isn't it, that she sees herself as the
generalized other, the same problem or condition that Eeldrop and Appleplex
describe when they note that most people only conceive of themselves as the
generalized other and have no vocabulary for themselves as individuals.
This is different, BTW, from what Eliot usually means by "impersonal."

Ken A

8:00? 8:25? 8:40?  Find a flick in no time