Diana,  I'm sorry to be stating the obvious but one could use "you"
as an impersonal pronoun too as in "You never know."

Please mark the second definition below from Dictionary.com :

1. the pronoun of the second person singular or plural, used of the
   person or persons being addressed, in the nominative or objective
   case: You are the highest bidder. It is you who are to blame. We
   can't help you. This package came for you. Did she give you the book?

2. one; anyone; people in general: a tiny animal you can't even see.

Regards,

CR

[BTW, there was a contingency that made me change my e-mail ID.
 The List will kindly excuse me.]

With regard to "there you feel free," Eliot certainly could have used "we" or "man" as a correct translation of "Mann". His choice of "you" is telling, as are all of his word choices. Diana