Diana,

You ask:
If in one passage of the poem water is a metaphor for lust,
and later he prays for water, for what is he praying?
I can see Eliot believing that lust is destructive of the spiritual life,
but why would he yearn for it later?

My answer: Water is both destructive and regenerative -- as a metaphor
for lust, it is foul and destructive -- and as a metaphor for emotional and
spiritual life, it is clear and regenerative.

The narrator in TWL yearns for the clear, regenerative (life-giving)
water of spirituality and love.

You'll find a hint of this dual aspect of water in the following
elaboration of Eliot's Notes at
http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poem/790.html :

307] V. St. Augustine's Confessions:
"to Carthage then I came, where a cauldron of
unholy loves sang all about mine ears."
[Eliot's note]
St. Augustine, in his autobiography, writes of his falling-away as a
student from God into "a land of want" (III.10), specifically in Carthage.
The passage that Eliot quotes continues as follows: "I was not yet in
love, but I was in love with love ... //I defiled the very source of
friendship by the filth of concupiscence, and its clear waters
I befouled with the lust of hell ....//

Regards,

CR

Dear CR: If in one passage of the poem water is a metaphor for lust, and later he prays for water, for what is he praying? Water's referent is so ambiguous as to be impossible to discern with any certainty, and I see this as a flaw in the poem. If Phlebas refers at least partly to Eliot's dear friend Jean Verdenal than the drowned sailor represents a force that is destructive of  emotional satisfaction. I can see Eliot believing that lust is destructive of the spiritual life, but why would he yearn for it later? Or is the poem asserting that a certain quantity of water is destructive, but a little bit is good? Then we want to know just how much is too much; that would seem to be the whole point. Drips and drops are salvation but the sea is death? But Eliot generally the sea as restorative. You see the problem. Diana