Error during command authentication.

  Dear Rick,

  Thanks for disowning the liability ;-)  for that essay on Rhapsody.
  I appreciate your humility, though.  O, it was an excellent piece !

  Your insights vis-a-vis my post on "Some Resonances" are remarkable.

  I wholly agree that had Eliot chosen to retain the line that alludes
  to Paolo and Francesca, a further association with

      * No greater grief than to remember days
    * Of joy, when mis'ry is at hand!

  would reflect rather concisely on the situation of the rich couple in
  'A Game of Chess'.

  And thanks for drawing attention to those other associations with
  the timeless moment.

  Regards,

  CR

Rickard A Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  1. CR, often my email program bombs out replying to your messages so
I'll just send a new message to discuss a few of your recent posts.

2. Thanks for the compliment but the discussion of "Rhapsody on a
Windy Night" was not by me. It would take me forever to write
something like that, if I could at all. It was an excerpt from an
online essay at http://indagabo.orcon.net.nz/lit/eliot.html. The
website made it difficult to get the name of the author.

3. For your post on Paolo and Francesca; in the draft to TWL was:
* 'What is that noise now? What is the wind doing?'
* Carrying
* Away the little light dead people.
(In the final version:
* 'What is that noise now? What is the wind doing?'
*
* Nothing again nothing.)

Valerie Eliot wrote that the carrying away of the little light dead
people was an allusion to Paolo and Francesca. If so then to the
marriage depicted in TWL we would have to think of Dante's:
* No greater grief than to remember days
* Of joy, when mis'ry is at hand!

If Eliot had kept the lines as they were I would wish that he made a
note for it.

4. You wrote:

> Ah, it's only now that a certain aspect of this love registers in my
> mind with the full force of a revelation. This is it : Marie's moment
> "among the mountains", the moment in the Hyacinth garden, and Tristan
> and Isolde's moment of the realization of love -- all three moments
> are typical instances of timeless moments in time.

If you want to explore your thought some more then perhaps you would
want to add this moment as well (although it is more mythic than
realistic): The epiphany at the chapel that "Dry bones can harm no
one," puntuated by the cry of the cock, a bird that could be described
as between man and naure.

In the draft of TWL that was another mythic moment of this sort when
the fisherment met their end. And yet another moment when Paolo and
Francesca put down their book to read no more that day (if Eliot
indeed meant to allude to them.)

Regards,
Rick Parker

Building a website is a piece of cake.