Nancy Gish wrote:

> Since this is not original research, perhaps I should have said "an
> heir" rather than "the heir," but I am using Lawrence Rainey, and though
> I do not want to get into another round on Wikipedia, Rainey can be
> counted on for scrupulous research; Wickipedia cannot.  He says
> "daughter of Ludwig Wilhelm, heir to the throne of Bavaria. . . ." If
> Ludwig's renunciation was of "rights as first-born son," he must have
> been first in line--no?

No.

Here is part of the line of the Kings of Bavaria.  The line went
through primogeniture.  What I have is not complete. For example, I
didn't seek out all living males at the time that Duke Ludwig
renounced his rights as first born son (like how many sons did
Luitpold had.)  Heirs with better claims than Marie's father are in
uppercase.  Maximilian II was the king at the time of renounciation.

Maximilian I
   LUDWIG I (abdicated)
      MAXIMILIAN II
         LUDWIG II
         OTTO
      OTTO (King of Greece)
      LUITPOLD
      ADALBERT
   Ludovika (married Maximilian Joseph, Duke in Bavaria)
      Ludwig Wilhelm
         Marie

> Marie became a countess when she married Count
> larisch vonMoennich, I presume.

Yes.

Regards,
    Rick Parker