Up to a point that is correct.   In Anglo-Saxon "man" meant an adult
human; "wifman" meant a female one; "werman" meant a male one.  But over
centuries the male and the general merged.  No one uses "werman" today,
except in "werewolf."  So, as in many cases, the male became the
presumed general term.  If you look in the OED, you will see that for
the Anglo-Saxon term "man" the primary meaning is adult human but for
the modern term "man" the primary meaning is adult male excluding
females.  The use of the male term for all humans was codified when
grammar was being codified in the 17th and 18th century, so it was
claimed to be "correct."  All the grammarians were male and seemed
unbothered.

Thus one word is to mean exactly opposite things:  humans including
female and humans excluding female.  That is why it has been
conveniently used to mean whichever was useful at the time.  Hence it
could be used legally without including women, and it was.

No doubt if adult males were all called "werman," and "man" meant only
females, and "all men are created equal" did not include "wermen," we
would indeed have the reverse discrimation, but then they aren't and it
doesn't and we don't.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> Tabitha Arnesen <[log in to unmask]> 07/11/07 2:49 PM >>>
I though man originally person?   Although i did get
that from this:

http://www.qwantz.com/archive/000551.html

I dont know how accurate it is!  i usually take it as
Gospel....

Tabitha