"Fixed" in this sense is not about roots.  It is about the relation--or
nonrelation--of the signifier to the signified.  There isn't any root
that is "fixed" in that sense.  Is "testimony" "fixed" to the root
"testes"?  It does affect the historic uses of the word.
Nancy

>>> Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]> 07/11/07 12:09 AM >>>
There is always the middle way.
In fact a word cannot be totally unfixed or it would be useless
nonsense.
I venture to say that every word that is viable has both a fixed root
allied with variable element. The flip is also true. The root can change
and the variables can become fixed.

To cleave or not to cleave that is the question.

P.