One dimension of this issue that has yet to be noted,
is the social context of scripture. Since WWII the disappearance
of Biblical literacy has been phenomenal. In Eliot's early
period he could reasonably assume most people, esp.
Protestants, were well familiar with the Bible, whether they
adhered to it in any of the many and beautifully varied churches
or not. They were raised with it, and in some cases forced to
devour it almost whole. Today one is lucky if one has
any students who can get the sense of "the bitter apple, and the bite
in the iPhone."

[I do not mean any put down by this observation. My students need
not feel guilty, just because they don't know the archetypal elements
 in the Bible. It is simply a fact, the result of shifting cultural values
and
 broadening origins of the population.]

It would be natural for scholars in TWL time to think that
beggaring all the Biblical allusions was a waste of time,
sheer restating of the obvious. Today, Biblical explication
is almost a necessity in cases where a finer point is being made.

So, even if Eliot's early use of the word CISTERN had no
apparent Biblical context to it, he still might have, who can say,
been consciously or unconsciously influenced, esp. by The
King James Version, which with Shakespare is part of the deep
treasure chest of the language.

The fact that E. did reference other OT prophets makes it interesting
at least to examine whether Jeremiah had a place in that work.

Cheers,
P.