One could say that the "self" has been eaten by the leopards in AW and
therefore is dead though some voice is remaining, but the negative way
of St. John of the Cross does call for the death of self--in the sense
of becoming nothing through the removing of sense in the dark night of
the senses and of any self in the dark night of the soul, so that god
can enter.  It is in any case present in 4Q, however you read it in
relation to the rest.

On the other hand, Eliot admired mystics; he never claimed to be on, so
the context matters.
Nancy

At 07:18 PM 7/30/2007, Barnwell  Black wrote:

>CR,
>        Contrast this with the entirely different boat/ship imagery in
> "The Dry Salvages" II and III where the imagery used by the "older"
> post-conversion T. S. Eliot is focused upon the path toward the death
of
> the Self and spiritual rebirth.

   Barnwell,

  Where exactly is the death of the Self in TSE? And do you mean Self
instead of self  (or what is the distinction)? My thought is that TSE,
pre-
or post-conversion, would be more inclined to turn the self toward God
than
to extinguish it.

Thanks,
Ken A.