CR,

 A thought: The "boat imagery" in "The  Waste Land" is certainly varied. One
thing that could tie it all  together is the concept that we are all, in our
transient  voyages, attempting to navigate the endless waters of time/existence
 in vessels of our own design symbolizing our own personal philosophies,
convictions, prejudices, passions, lusts, myths, and circumstances,  -- vessels
which keep us from sinking, however flimsy they might  be. "Although the Logos
is common to all, We live as if by our own  wisdom"  (Heraclitus).
       Contrast this with the entirely  different boat/ship imagery in "The
Dry Salvages" II and III where the imagery  used by the "older" post-conversion
T. S. Eliot is focused upon the path  toward the death of the Self and
spiritual rebirth.    From DS III:

"'...O voyagers, O seamen,
You who came to port, and you whose  bodies
Will suffer the trial and judgement of the sea,
Or whatever event,  this is your real destination.'
So Krishna, as when he admonished  Arjuna
On the field of battle.
Not fare well,
But fare forward,  voyagers."   DS III

 On this subject, the words of Longfellow come to  mind:

"Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in  passing;
Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the  darkness;
So on the ocean of life we pass and speak one  another,
Only a look and a voice; then darkness again and a  silence."  The
Theologian's Tale, Elizabeth, IV.

Thanks,
Barnwell

In a message dated 7/29/2007 10:53:08 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,