It is impossible to travel faster than light, and certainly
not desirable, as one's hat keeps blowing off.
                                                Woody Allen

Forget speeds faster than light.  How about faster than simultaneous?

"Backward research goes forward"
   http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/07/17/274531.aspx

   University of Washington physicist (and science-fiction author) John
   Cramer is moving forward with his experiment in backward causality,
   thanks in part to tens of thousands of dollars in contributions sent
   in by his fans. Although Cramer emphasizes that his lab is looking at
   'nonlocal quantum communication' rather than backward time travel per
   se, the gadgetry he's assembling could settle a controversy
   surrounding a seemingly faster-than-light effect that Albert Einstein
   thought was downright spooky.

   [
     Read the middle of the article at
       http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/07/17/274531.aspx
   ]

   Cramer, who is the author of two science-fiction novels and a regular
   columnist for Analog magazine, said the experiment represents "a rare
   opportunity to push the envelope of quantum mechanics." No matter how
   it turns out, the results will be put to good use, he said.

   "If this experiment we're doing works, then I will follow up and push
   it as hard as possible. And if it doesn't work, I will write a
   science-fiction novel where it does work," he said. "It's a win-win
   situation."