"Bow-wow" and "meow" are symbolic as words.  Whatever sounds they are
intended to represent as those made by dogs and cats are--we assume--not
symbolic, though I am not sure we can be sure of that--but it is a
general human presumption.  The words on the page are symbols.  Eliot
did not bark or make cat sounds or bird sounds; he wrote words.  And all
the ones in TWL are actual words.  Grunts and moans are not
interjections; interjections are words, and "O" is an interjection.
"Drip drop" is just two words.

This is not even reasoning, let alone my reasoning.  It is just some
facts about the meaning of the terms "Symbolic" and "Imaginary."
Infants do babble, and they make--according to linguists--all the sounds
in all human languages and then eliminate those that do not have
symbolic value in the language or languages they hear.  Their linguistic
abilities are not even rudimentary in the sense of higher or lower brain
function.  But Eliot is not even just writing sounds, and he is
certainly not making them.

I am not saying anything about all texts that imitate a full range of
language development--you seem to mean phonemes as well as morphemes--I
am just saying that Eliot does not write down phonemes like, say the
sound of "k."  With the possible exception of DA, since we do not know
the meaning of the sound the Thunder makes--though the script on the
page is in this case a symbol for whatever that sound is--every example
you give is a word or symbol for a sound we know.

By contrast, here is a language poet trying to do something like what
you describe (I don't know if the formatting will stay) :

ah, so, yes
   that's where things leave you ,
             full of abstractions

        animality
                         chordatsm

               vertobrodoty

                        mammaly

                       primetcy

                                     . . .

                                     . . .

                                mer can

                              jdei crt

                                           ny

Or perhaps not, since one can treat this as a puzzle and figure out
parts of words or meanings even in the end.

In any case, it is not what Eliot did.
Nancy

Nancy by that reasoning bow-wow and meow are symbolic. Simple
expressions like Ow! or Wa! are no different simply because they are
produced by humans -- we function as animals on the lowest level of
development. Grunts and moans are not symbolic. Placing primitive sounds
in the same category as a sentence having complex literary syntax
ignores some important aspects of language production, not the least of
which are the areas of the brain responsible for lower and higher
linguistic expression, the latter being larger. Human infants have
rudimentary linguistic abilities, as did our species before it developed
higher functioning. You seem to be saying that texts that imitate the
full range of language development have no validity. If Eliot takes
language itself as one of his themes, then it is likely that he would
include its full range from simple to complex, primitive to the most
complicated. Diana