Dear CR: In what significant sense is Marie's remark "in the mountains, there you feel free" a general remark? That is precisely my question. Is it not privileging a group who have the luxury of feeling free in the mountains over others who do not? My grandparents emigrated from the Carpathian mountains to America because starvation, lack of medical care, education and opportunities to change their socio-economic status made them feel unfree. My great-grandmother died at 42 in a miserable unheated cottage in the mountains from an illness that would have been treated easily if medicine were available. She did not feel the freedom from care in the mountains Marie describes.

In what sense is the statement "Pimping is a good job because you have no boss and you can't get fired" different from Marie's statement, which also contains an assumption about the "you" that comprises the statement's audience? Diana

CR wrote:

It could be so.  But I thought she made a general remark (and it included

her as well) about the sensation of freedom/exhilaration one experienced

in shifting from the tedium of the plains.

Regards,

CR

Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

At 10:48
AM 7/10/2007, Chokh Raj wrote:
>Diana, I'm sorry to be stating the obvious but one could use "you"
>as an impersonal pronoun too as in "You never know."

Which is the Marie problem, isn't it, that she sees herself as the
generalized other, the same problem or condition that Eeldrop and Appleplex
describe when they note that most people only conceive of themselves as the
generalized other and have no vocabulary for themselves as individuals.
This is different, BTW, from what Eliot usually means by "impersonal."

Ken A

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

Missed the show?  Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN.