Dear CR: That is my point precisely.  The word "you" used as an impersonal pronoun implies a universality of others. "You feel free in the mountains" implies a common experience of the mountains, just as "you feel at home in the ghetto" implies some identity of speaker and audience. Diana

From:  Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: a Jeremiah sighting?
Date:  Tue, 10 Jul 2007 07:48:44 -0700

Diana,  I'm sorry to be stating the obvious but one could use "you"

as an impersonal pronoun too as in "You never know."

Please mark the second definition below from Dictionary.com :

1. the pronoun of the second person singular or plural, used of the

   person or persons being addressed, in the nominative or objective

   case: You are
the highest bidder. It is you who are to blame. We

   can't help you. This package came for you. Did she give you the book?

2. one; anyone; people in general: a tiny animal you can't even see.

Regards,

CR

[BTW, there was a contingency that made me change my e-mail ID.

 The List will kindly excuse me.]

With regard to "there you feel free," Eliot certainly could have used "we" or "man" as a correct translation of
"Mann". His choice of "you" is telling, as are all of his word choices. Diana

Choose the right car based on your needs.
Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place!