Nonetheless, Sosostris is right in at least one of her readings! Diana

Has anyone ever noticed that not only did/does Madame Sosostris

not find The Hanged Man, neither does she find the fool.

And her remark, "Fear death by water" exposes the ignorance of

this "wisest woman in Europe" about the spiritual significance of

such a death brought out in Part IV of the poem.

To me, Madame Sosostris is a deliberate representation of the secular

tendency in contemporary life which Eliot was to say (in 'Religion and

Literature' ) is wholly ignorant of "our most fundamental and important

beliefs", and which is "simply unaware of, simply cannot understand

the meaning of, the primacy of the supernatural over the natural life:

of something which I assume to be our primary concern".

CR

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's

See what you’re getting into…before you go there