CR: Couldn't Death by Water be a chance for another life, an ending that is a beginning? Diana
Rick,

What I wrote was just to put across my point on the desirability of

keeping Part IV where it is. The inferno of the poem which Eliot

conceived as a representation of "horror" reaches its climax with

'The Fire Sermon'.  'Death by Water' then hints at a different type

of death -- a death that transforms and redeems. And Part V, as I

wrote, paves the way for such a life-giving death.

Don't you think this
sequence makes sense?

Regards,

CR

P.S. Please consider Cleanth Brooks also on this:

"The death by water would seem to be equated with the death

described in Ariel's song in The Tempest. There is a definite difference

in the tone of the description of this death--"'A current under sea/ Picked his
bones in whispers', as compared with the 'other' death--'bones cast in a
little low dry garret,/Rattled by the rat's foot only, year by year."

-----

Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

death by water

It was most probably Cleanth Brooks who in his 'The Waste Land:

A Critique of the Myth' wrote about the lyrical beauty of

A current under sea / Picked his bones in whispers.

Reminds me of lines from 'The Tempest' :

Full fathom five thy father lies;

      Of his bones are coral
made;

Those are pearls that were his eyes;

      Nothing of him that doth fade

But doth suffer a sea-change

      Into something rich and strange.

A "death by water" is, indeed, so different from the dry, sterile

death in a "rats' alley / Where the dead men lost their bones".

Part IV of TWL, therefore, is in the nature of an interlude,

dreamy reverie in the midst of a bleak reality.  Part V then

paves the way for such a death.

Cheers!

CR

  Got a little couch potato?

Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's

More photos, more messages, more storageóget 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.