CR wrote:

A postmodern poem, on the other hand, constructs a subjective picture of reality and provides a subjective center to order it.

CR, generally speaking I think this is true of the modernist poem. The postmodern poem is polyvocal, with no focalizing narrator or author around which fragments cohere. In Language Poetry, the reader's subjectivity is the organizer -- this is the so-called "death of the author" or the making of the reader into the text's author. Best, Diana

From:  Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: Rewrite The Waste Land
Date:  Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:34:56 -0700

I wouldn't blame you there, Richard. I didn't make my point clear.

A modern poem (TWL, for instance) presumes to present an objective

reality, and projects an absolutist and traditionalist center to order it.

A postmodern poem, on the other hand, constructs a subjective

picture of reality and provides a subjective
center to order it.

Regards,

CR

Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

CR

I’m afraid I’m getting lost.

Doesn’t  “in that the postmodern perception of reality is essentially one of anarchy and disorder without a center

to hold”  essentially exclude all the “Black Mountain Poets” from

the label “Post Modern”.

Rick Seddon

Portales, NM

Ready for the edge of your seat?

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place!