Carrol, approaching a work of art as a static, ridgidly outlined entity with no tendrils reaching behind and forward strikes me as being so category-bound as to be unimaginative. That works of art derive from previous art and send the beginnings of new styles into the future is as true of Dante's work as well as that of Eliot and Charles Bernstein, not to mention Picasso's re-working of African art, or Pollock's re-working of Picasso. Are you saying Eliot did not influence poets who came after him? Or do you restrict his influence to certain rigidgly cirumscribed elements?

Trying interpretations on for size, exposing possibilities to the list for reactions and revising interpretations if one becomes convinced they do not fit is a creative exercise. There is no harm and much to be gained from seeing Eliot's poetry in unorthodox ways. Diana

From:  Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: Rewrite The Waste Land
Date:  Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:37:07 -0500
{This odd spacing across the screen almost loses me.) CR always loses me
so I haven't read many of his recent posts -- but there is no place for
post-modernism in this discussion. To introduce it is to make nonsense
of all attempts at periodization. Also, one simply cannot make any
statement at all which is even close to generally true of all so-called
"postmodernists." Probably aome of them are anarchists, but not very
many. The term has been pretty much ruined by meaning so many different
things and being so often (as in this thread) misused.

I think it's probably best simply to ignore contributions to these
endless attempts to link t.s.e. or fragments of his work to everything
and nothing. THese aren't literary observations, they are expressions of
pathology.

Carrol

> Richard Seddon wrote:
>
> CR
>

> I’m afraid I’m getting lost.
>

> Doesn’t  “in that
>
> the postmodern perception of reality is essentially one of anarchy
>
> and disorder without a center to hold”
>
> essentially exclude all the “Black Mountain Poets” from the label
> “Post Modern”.

> Rick Seddon
>
> Portales, NM

Missed the show?  Watch videos of the Live Earth Concert on MSN.