Peter, many thanks for this citation. Wonderful. I have used it and Eliot's lines as an illustration in a poets.org thread of how his music affects us before we know his words' relationship to the loss of faith implied by "empty cisterns." Diana

From: Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: a Jeremiah sighting?
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 02:40:20 -0800

I was reading a commentary on Jeremiah which mentioned borken cisterns,
and so rang an Eliot bell in my sonorous noggin.

Cf TWL:
           Tolling  reminiscent bells, that kept the hours
 384    And voices singing out of empty cisterns and exhausted wells.

with

 If the cement of the cistern gave way, the reservoir became useless and was abandoned. It was then one of the "broken cisterns, that could hold no water" (Jeremiah 2:13).

from

New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia
     http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15581a.htm

I couldn't find a reference to it in Rick's phenomenal hypertext TWL

so I'm not sure if it is a valid sighting.

Cheers,
Peter

PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail.